For every couple of weeks or months, there was a rumor on WhatsApp of message recalls feature. You got this feature in a beta version but it never works properly. WhatsApp starts rolling out a new feature of deleting messages for all recipients.
Deleting messages on WhatsApp let you remove a message you sent in a conversation. It won’t just disappear from your chat, it will go away on the recipient chat. This feature can be handy if you send something to someone by mistake, made a typing mistake or you regretted saying something and so on.
Three major conditions of Deleting messages on WhatsApp:
- You can only delete messages up to 7 minutes after sending them, so if you miss this short part of the time there is no other way to recall the message.
- If someone already opened and read the message, your deletion only affects their ability to take a screenshot or search for its content later.
- Whatsapp will not be notified if message recalling worked properly on the recipient’s end, so you can’t be sure if the deletion happened successfully or not.
Deleting messages on WhatsApp include two options i.e Delete for Everyone and Delete for Me.
Delete messages for everyone:
Deleting message on WhatsApp for everyone allows you to delete specific messages you have sent to a group or to individual chat. This is useful if you sent a message to wrong chats or if the message you sent contains typing mistake. If you have deleted a message for everyone then it will show “This message was deleted” in your recipients’ chats also you will see “This message was deleted” in a chat that means the sender deleted their message for everyone.
Delete messages for me:
Deleting message on WhatsApp for yourself allows you to delete your message which you have sent or received on your phone. This doesn’t affect on your recipient’s chats. Your recipient will still see the messages in their chats screen which you have sent to them
Steps for Deleting messages on Whatsapp:
- Open WhatsApp and go to the chat containing the message you want to delete.
- Tap and hold the message. Then, tap more messages to delete multiple messages at once.
- Tap Delete at the top of the screen > Delete for me/ Delete for Everyone.
WhatsApp Deleting feature is more of a server-side rollout, there is no information still now which versions of WhatsApp will get this update. But you can get this feature on a beta version, from APK Mirror or by joining the Play Store WhatsApp beta. Feel free to comment in our comment section below.
Abhishek is the founder of Above Android. He has worked hard to bring Above Android where it stands today. He manages his team extremely well and also manages the News section of our site. Having learnt the art of Android Development, he is always keen to know the latest updates in this space and put it down in our news section.