Last week, we reported that Mi is going to launch their new flagship soon, and just today they’ve announced the latest additions to their arsenal – the Mi Note and Mi Note Pro. Both the phones offer amazing specs (and raise the bar for flagships, but we’ll get to that in a bit!) at solid price points, and might just restructure the mobile phone scenario as we know it.
The launch event took place today, the 15th of January and was held in Beijing. Right from the presentations made, the company made it very clear which flagships the latest offerings would be competing against – the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and the iPhone 6 Plus.
The Mi Note comes with flagship grade specifications, and following the company’s trends, offers these specifications at a very low price bracket.
- DISPLAY: 5.7 inch NEGA LCD FULL HD Display, with Gorilla Glass 3 Protection
- PROCESSOR: 2.5 GHz quad-core Snapdragon 801, Adreno 330 GPU
- MEMORY: 3GB RAM, 16 GB / 64 GB internal storage.
- BATTERY: 3,000mAh battery.
- CAMERA: 13-megapixel main camera with a six-element lens, OIS, a Sony CMOS sensor, and two-tone flash from Philips. 4-megapixel front-camera with large 2-micron pixels.
The phablet also comes with a dedicated chip for audio playback – which is a boon for audiophiles. The company claims that the phone will support 24-bit/192KHz lossless audio playback.
Emphasis has also been made on the display, with particular importance given to the contrast ratios and colour reproduction.
PRICING AND RELEASE
The Mi Note is stated to be released on January 27th, but it might make its way to Indian shores a little later. The phablet is priced at RMB 2,299 ($371, approx. Rs. 23,000/-) for the 16GB variant, while the 64GB version is priced at RMB 2,799 ($451, roughly Rs. 27,900/-). This puts the phone in direct competition with the likes of the OnePlus One in terms of Value for Money proposition.
MI NOTE PRO
For those of you who think that Mi’s latest phones are not flagship material, think again. The company also announced it’s Mi Note Pro – a beefed up version of the Mi Note which basically sets new standards for smartphones in the year 2015.
- DISPLAY: 5.7″ IPS Sharp/JDI display with QHD resolution, with a pixel density of 515ppi
- PROCESSOR: Octa core Snapdragon 810 64-bit processor, with 4x Cortex-A57 @ 2.0GHz and 4x Cortex-A53 @1.5GHz. There’s also an Adreno 430 GPU
- MEMORY: 4GB LPDDR4 RAM, 64 GB onboard storage
- BATTERY: 3090mAh Battery
- CAMERA: 13MP main camera, with a Sony IMX214 sensor, OIS and dual-tone flash. Front camera of 4MP and 1/3″ sensor.
- LTE-CAT 9, up to 450Mbps download speeds
The specifications speak for themselves. No phone in the market has offered 4GB of RAM before, and Mi might just be (touchwood!) the first company to come up with a flagship that changes the game.
PRICING AND RELEASE
The Mi Note Pro is going to be priced at RMB 3,299 ($533, approx Rs. 33,000/-) and is stated to be released in March end.
BESIDES THE PHONES
The company chief Lei Jun has also announced plans of connecting their phones with Xiaomi-branded home appliances, allowing phone users to remotely control washing machines, air purifiers and surveillance cameras. This would in turn be in accordance with the ‘Internet of Things’ scheme, and would imply seamless connectivity across various devices.
Mi has also announced its ‘audiophile grade’ headphones – the Mi headphones. They come with a wide variety of features which include a dual damping system, headphone speakers that are 25% larger than regular headphone speakers, a low interference straight cable and replaceable ear covers – which include over-ear and on-ear options.
All in all, Mi has quite a few plans up its sleeve for the new year, and they are raising the bar not just in the smartphone sector, but also in the world of technology in general.