WhatsApp has started testing its new UPI based payment feature in India. This new feature is available for WhatsApp beta users on Android. It allows users to send and receive money using the Unified Payments Interface (UPI). As we already know WhatsApp has a large user base in India, so the UPI payment integration gives another boost to digital payments. The company said this feature will be available on WhatsApp version 2.18.41 for Android.
According to Gizmo Times report, WhatsApp payment feature uses UPI framework to send and receive money. Looking at the screenshots shared by Gizmo Times, the app includes Payment option within the attachment section. It replaces the Camera shortcut which was present earlier with the document and gallery options.
Just after clicking the payment option, it will take you to a new screen to set up your UPI bank account. After setting up the UPI account, one can easily send or receive cash from your WhatsApp contacts. But both sender and receiver need to have UPI setup in their WhatsApp account for the payment to work.
How To Set Up WhatsApp Payments:
- Open your WhatsApp account and select payment option which is present in the attachment section. A new window will open for Payment feature.
- Link your bank account to UPI. It will help you to use your registered WhatsApp number for the further setup process.
- Later you just need to verify your phone number to begin the UPI setup process.
- Once your number is verified, it will show a list of banks. You can select the bank account that you want to link with WhatsApp.
- Now you will see Setup Complete message on your WhatsApp screen.
As confirmed by WABetaInfo, the rollout of this feature has officially announced for Android users. The company slowly making this payment feature available to all users in India. WhatsApp will go against the app like Paytm, Phone Pe, and Google Tez which already used UPI payment process. So are you excited to use the WhatsApp Payments feature? Let us know your feedback in our comment section below.