Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s “Make In India” initiative added billions of dollars in the Indian economy, but what if we talk about Indian Apps which are making billions of rupees. The Above Android team brings you the list of popular android apps which are design and developed in India.
According to Eric Schmidt of Google, mobile is the future of software development. The usage of mobile phones is rising rapidly, whereas android in India is the hot favorite option among other OS. It has been seen that India has occupied second place in the number of active mobile phones. In India, there are around 1 billion mobile phones that are used by the people whereas the number of total mobile phones used all over the world is 6 billion. Indian Businessmen see 6 million new subscribers every month. So it’s a booming market of android apps and smartphones in India.
List of Indian Apps:
Planning to book a ride? Why don’t you check these Indian travel apps?
- Ola Cabs: You can book a cab in India’s major cities with this Indian app. Using the app is simple as 1 2 3 like select location, select ride now or ride later, enjoy the ride and pay with OLA money or in cash
- TaxiForSure: Just another popular Indian cab app does the same & you can enjoy instant availability of cabs in metro cities. TFS has the cheapest pricing compare to other cab service providers. And now you can pay for your rides with the Paytm wallet.
- Meru Cabs: Meru cabs, one of the oldest cab services provider in India. With more than 20,000 trips a day, Meru cabs ranked as 3rd largest radio taxi company in world.
- Zoomcar: India’s first self drive car rental services, which allows you to book any car, enjoy self-driving, drop-off the car at the same location and pay the bill.
- redBus: redBus is the world’s largest bus ticketing platform. RedBus Android app is the most convenient and easy way to book a bus ticket. And track your bus location to avoid last-minute confusion.
- Travelyaari: Just another bus ticket booking android app. You just have to select a location, choose a bus, pick your seat and pay.
- IRCTC Connect: An android app by the Indian government for booking train tickets. First you need to create account, then set departing and arriving station with traveling date, choose a convenient train, fill up commuter detail and pay ticket charges online. Learn more.
- Jugnoo Autos: Auto rickshaw is a part of people’s life in India. Jugnoo autos android app helps you to locate nearby Jugnoo (rickshaw) and book it on a single tap.
How about finding a great deal with these apps?
- CarDekho: Buying a used car, or selling a car would never be such easy. With CarDekho android app you can browse number of cars and buy your dream car. You can even compare two cars and read reviews.
- Quikr: Quikr android app lets you buy and sell anything. Quikr app has a feature that connects the buyer and seller to chat with each other before meeting up or making any purchase or sale.
- OLX: OLX Android app helps you to list ads directly from the app with few simple steps. OLX has various categories which include mobiles, cars, real estate, jobs, furniture, etc.
*learn how to sell with maximum value on OLX or Quikr
- CouponDunia: Discounts deals, offers, coupons, freebies, etc we all love it and this what Coupon Dunia android app do for you. Finds a number of discount coupons of various products, services online and offline with this app.
Do you love Chit-Chat? With this app you can meet someone special.
- Hike Messenger: Popular Indian messenger with more than 35 million users. Hike messenger is the most loved messaging android app in India. Sticker in hike messenger makes it unique from other competing messenger android apps.
- TrulyMadly: India’s largest dating and matchmaking android app, TrulyMadly can find you the perfect date on a single tap. They have more than 2 million active users. So you can surely find someone in your city.
- Way2SMS: Why pay for the SMS pack? With Way2SMS android apps you can send free SMS to any number in India, but for that, you need a active data plan. Sometime Way2SMS is annoying because of too many ads, though you can give it a try.
- Shaadi.com: Access to India’s most popular matrimonial platform on your android phone. You can subscribe to premium account to access top features of the app. You can wave your phone to connect with surprise match.
- Bharat Matrimony: This matrimony site claim that they have facilitated marriages more than any other matrimony sites and for which they have featured on Limca Book of records. So create your profile and start searching for perfect match.
- Vee App: Vee is one of the best apps for college students. With the Vee app, you can connect with new people in your college or explore more and make friends from other colleges around you.
- Woo App: Woo app is another Matchmaking android app, but we feel the UI of the app made negative impressions. Still you can give it a try and check out how it works for you.
Love Shopping Online? Buy trendy stuff right now with these List of Indian Apps
- Flipkart: One of the most popular Indian e-commerce, Flipkart has an android app with some unique features. Else than instant shopping, you can search product by uploading product images and app will suggest you the best similar product. Flipkart recently launched the “Ping” feature where you can chat, share product photos with friends and enjoy shopping together. Flipkart Android app also supports android wear.
- Snapdeal: Another popular e-commerce site in India. With the good interface, you can enjoy some extra discount on selected products, if you shop from Snapdeal android app
- ShopClues: Shopclues android app has OKAYISH design. We actually didn’t like it so much, but still, you can give it a try. You can save few bucks if you buy selected products from Shopclues android app instead of the website.
- Homeshop18: Many of you remember this brand selling stuff on TV where you can call and buy product. But with Homeshop18 android app you can buy online and track your product in transit.
- Myntra: Myntra android app has the great fashion collection. You can use filters to find out the perfect fit for you instantly. With 23,00,000 product styles from 1600+ brands, you can get better options to choose from.
- Jabong: They actually has the great collection for every taste. Jabong’s android app has a good rating on the Google app store and in-app offers is actually tempting. If you are a fashion freak, then this app is actually made for you.
- Limeroad Shopping: If you are a woman who loves fashion shopping other than anything, then this is the must-have app for you. Limeroad shopping android app is light in weight and updates its collection in every 30 seconds. WOW
- Roposo: Roposo android app is not just a shopping arena, it is a kind of social media or an interactive platform for women who loves shopping and fashion. You can enjoy fashion feeds, upload your selfies, create stories, and write product reviews.
- KOOVS: KOOVS shopping android app has one unique section that may make you to download this app. In-app there is section named “celeb style” which offers you similar designer clothes and accessories that your favorite celeb wore at any event or in film.
- Shopo: Shopo is the part of Snapdeal family. With shopo android app, you can buy, sell on one click. We Indian love bargaining, so in this app there is a feature were you can chat with seller and quote offer price or bargain.
- Klip: If you want yourself to keep updated with all the latest fashion trends from all the Indian online sites. Klip android app will help you, with more than 1200 fashion store listed. Klip is the central place for all fashion freaks.
- Cooliyo: This android app is not much known but unlike other shopping platform cooliyo offers some cool products which are handpicked by Cooliyo community from all over India. You can find many unique things here.
Discover your city with these Indian android apps.
- JD Justdial: With the Justdial android app you can discover everything in your city on your mobile. It can be anything like finding doctors, travel agencies, repairman even offers and deals, etc. It’s like your guide for everything and anything.
- AskmeIndia: You must have seen Ranbir Kapoor in TV ad saying “baap of all apps”. Well, AskMe android app is kind of local search engine where you can find a business listing, product deals, offers, etc in your location.
- Zomato: Discover what delicious in your city with the Zomato android app. You can check out restaurant ratings, menu cards, photos etc. Zomato basically is a restaurant finder but you can even order food for which you will need another app called Zomato Orders.
- Bookmyshow: Find out the latest event and movie shows in your city. Book movie/event tickets from your android phone instantly and avoid the queue at the ticketing window. You can even submit or read reviews on movies.
- FastTicket: Lesser known app in major cities but it’s quite popular in Gujarat, India. Fastticket does the same work as BookMyShow. But with fastticket you can even pay your phone, gas, DTH, Internet bills instantly.
Manage your health with these India fitness apps.
- 1mg app: One of the best app which you should install right now. With 1mg android app, you can search, buy medicines, book lab tests, read health-related articles by experts, etc. This app also tells you the impact of certain medicines on pregnancy and lactation.
- Practo: Practo android app lets you book appointment with doctors, dentist etc. You can even find doctors details like phone number, address, working hour, average charges, user rating, doctor’s education, services, specialization, etc.
- Lybrate: Lybrate android app is another great app in the health category. With the Lybrate app, you can find doctors, ask personal questions privately, consult a doctor online with video calling, etc. Lybrate have 80000 verified doctors.
- HealthifyMe: This is the perfect app for weight losing, this app not only guide you but also help you to set customize diet and exercise plan. App also offers to counsel from experts, tracking and measuring results. This is the premium services but you can give a try to free trial pack and make further decisions.
- PharmEasy: With PharmEasy it’s very convenient to buy medicines, which you can expect to deliver at your doorstep within 24 hours. You just need to upload doctor’s prescription and address to deliver. You can even book diagnosed tests from the app.
- LoveCycles: It is a easy way to track period (menstrual cycle). LoveCycles android app track days in calendar and help to increase accuracy of contraception and conception. This app gives an accurate and automatic prediction of fertility. Lovecycles app comes with password protection.
- Ziffi App: Ziffi android app allows you to book an appointment with salon, spas, doctors, diagnostic centers, etc in your city. Currently it is only in 5 major cities of India.
This app can actually deliver tastes to your door.
- TastyKhana: Tasty Khana has partnered with 9000+ restaurants in India. Android app of TastyKhana has a simple elegant design. You just need to select a restaurant in your location then choose your meal and then select a payment option.
- PepperTap: Its a mobile application for buying groceries, currently available in Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chandigarh, Panchkula, etc. You just need to select your location, add stuff to your cart, choose a payment option, sit back and relax.
- Swiggy: Even with the Swiggy android app you can order food online from all local restaurants in your area. Swiggy works in 6 major cities of India. You get real-time updates of your meal when it’s in transit.
- TinyOwl: Just another food ordering app. Tinyowl android app has some great discounts for new users. With one click you can repeat your orders from the history tab. Tinyowl services are available in all major cities.
- Faasos: Faasos just moved to app-only services and it’s “food on demand” company with more than 10000 transactions daily. Faasos available in 10+ cities of India.
- Bigbasket: Bigbasket is an online grocery store with more than 14000+ product from 1000+ brands. Android app of BigBasket lets you make a hazel free transaction instantly.
- Grofers: Grofers is on-demand delivery services, which serve you everything. Basically it connects local business to you. Grofers android app is the best way to order almost anything instantly from local merchants in neighborhood.
Planning for holiday or business trip? These apps can help you.
- MakeMyTrip: This is the all in one travel app, like you can book flight, rail tickets, bus tickets, cabs and hotel reservations. App offers amazing discounts & deals on holiday packages.
- ClearTrip: Cleartrip android app has all you need; you can make hotel reservation, flight bookings, trains and buses ticket too from your phone.
- Goibibo: Goibibo is another travel app that has very decent user interface. You can book domestic & international flights, holiday packages, etc and pay with GoCash or other payment options.
- Yatra: Unlike any other app, the Yatra android app has an extra option to book a cruise. You just need to select destination and it will recommend all the available cruises.
- Ixigo: Ixigo is travel search engine, you cannot make a booking through this app, but Ixigo will redirect you to their partner networks for booking flights, trains & bus tickets.
- OYO rooms: OYO Rooms services are available in 100+ cities in India. With OYO rooms android app you can surely find budget rooms with the best services in major cities of India. OYO rooms app have some cool discounts and offers.
- HolidayIQ: The best thing about HolidayIQ android app is to read peoples review of various hotels. HolidayIQ has the best information about all the hotels in India.
- RoomsTonite: RoomsTonite is the only app service for last-minute hotel booking. Roomstonite is not much popular and it’s available in a few cities in India. But you can surely give a try when you are in a time crunch.
Finding property will never be headache again with these Indian android apps.
- Housing: Housing is a real estate search platform with more than 6000 listed brokers. Other than buying, selling, or renting a property you can even find a roommate without sharing your contact details with the housing android app. Learn more.
- 99acres: 99acers android app has a simple and elegant design. Listing your property for selling or planning to buy would be simple as one-two-three. You can even check all the latest projects in your location.
- MagicBricks: More than 5 lac listing, MagicBrick android app can help to find perfect house as you can use sort & filter options to find the best property. Also, be updated with price trends in different locations.
- CommonFloor: This property searching platform has a very unique feature; with CommonFloor android app you can enjoy viewing a property in a 3D view. The Live-in 3D view is a revolution to the real estate industry.
- IndianProperty: Another property searching platform with 7 lac property listings. Indian Property android app has a feature called virtual tour and 3D floor plan which doubles your property hunting experience.
- Flatmate: App to find “AAP jaisa hi koi” roommate. Flatmate android app has some cool filtering option so that you can find perfect room partner. Currently, this service is only available in Delhi, Gurgaon and Noida.
- Flatchat: Finding a right flatmate or roommate is easy and simple with Flatchat android app. Flat chat is a platform that connects flat owners, Room seekers, and flatmates so they can chat, connect and find the right person.
- Urban Ladder: Designing your home just got a lot simpler with Urban Ladder App. Just select background, add furniture and decor items and, check how it will look like before buying any furniture or decor items. If all fits perfectly simply buy furniture and decor products from the app itself.
These android apps are ready to grow your career and business on single tap.
- Shine.com: Its job-hunting platform. Shine Android app has some very good job opening. You just need to create account, setup profile and start searching for best job.
- MoneyControl: One of the most popular Indian android app to check out real-time information about the stock market, bullion market, Forex currency, commodity markets, etc. You can even choose a different language, get market news, videos and more.
- GradeStack: Grade Stack is one of the fastest-growing platforms for online courses. Grade stack android app provides you e-learning courses which includes Java, CAT, GMAT, Science, Maths etc
- TimesJobs: Setting up a profile or simply signup with linked account. TimesJob app will recommend you jobs on an industry basis. You can use advanced filters for searching customize job. Once you find a perfect job opening, simply hit on the ‘apply’ button.
Expenses Dilemma? Manage your bills with these apps.
- Freecharge: App for fastest bill payment, be it anything like mobile bills, recharges, DTH recharges, postpaid bills etc. For every transaction, you can pick up free coupons, use it on merchants and enjoy discounts.
- Paytm: Apart from recharge and bill payments. With the Paytm android app you can shop online. You can even transfer money to others with Paytm wallet instantly and also can pay to online merchants partnered with Paytm. Know more from Paytm CEO.
- Mobikwik: Another mobile, DTH, data card recharging android app. You can even shop with MobiKwik wallet and transfer money instantly. The best part you can use the “cash pay” option and MobiKwik agent will visit and collect money. This feature is currently available only Delhi & Gurgaon. Check what Mobikwik founder has to say about MobiKwik.
- Citrus Cube: Citrus Cube android app notify for bill payment so that you can avoid late payment fees. You can track you bills history, bills dates and of course you can make quick bill payments too.
- Chillr: Chillr is virtual wallet that aids in transferring money smoothly. Only HDFC customer can use all features of Chillr and others can only receive funds. Chillr is right now only partnered with HDFC bank.
Know every now & then with this news android apps in India.
- DailyHunt: Popularly known as Newshunt, which supports 15 Indian languages. You will receive all the news from leading sources and news channels. You can even buy, read different eBooks and magazines in-app.
- TOI: Time Of India popularly said as TOI is one of the leading sources of all news in India. TOI app has features like mange notification, live news TV, customized news from 45 cities etc.
- Inshorts: If you are in a time crunch and don’t want to miss any news updates this app is for you. Inshorts team summarize whole news in 60 words for you, so you can read news instantly and simply swipe to jump to the next news.
- Narendra Modi App: If you are a fan of Mr. Modi you should install this app right now. Know every now and then of Indian prime minister, watch “Maan ki Baat”, receive every single news, give suggestions and even you can write to the prime minister.
- Above Android: India’s Android News: With more than 10,000 downloads Above Android is the best source of Indian android news. Android game reviews, tips and tricks. Video section in app brings you to the latest smartphone reviews and app reviews.
- TechDroid: The Techdroid android app provides all the latest happenings in the android world on your Smartphone. You can get information related to the latest phone launches, leaks, rumors and more.
Android app from India to double your entertainment level
- Saavn: Millions of Hollywood, English, Hindi songs on single tap. With saavn android app you can even enjoy radio on the go. You can simply create your playlist, follow the artist and top charts.
- Gaana: One of the best app for free music streaming, with more than 3 million songs you can enjoy every genre of music. Buy a premium package and enjoy ad-free version with unlimited free music download.
- Hungama: Get access to 2.5 million+ HD music videos and songs with the Hungama android app. In the app you can select your mood and the app will recommend the best music and video accordingly.
- Wynk Music: You can enjoy 1.4 million Indian and international song. Wynk Music app also lets you check the lyric of songs and you can even set songs as hello tune.
- Wynk Movies: Watch free movies, TV series, shows, etc on your phone with Wynk movies app. You can even download movies and watch it later. Wynk Movies app buffer videos from 5 different source.
- Hotstar Live TV: Get access to the latest TV shows, live cricket, latest movies without any sign-up. Enjoy full-length episodes of you favorite Indian TV series on a single tap.
- What’s on India: One of the best and only Indian TV channel guide. It gives 700+ channels of information on your phone. View programs, schedule and detailed information. Explore more about movies and TV series.
- Music Player: One of the best music players developed by Indian developers. This music player has a very elegant design which makes it pretty awesome. Also has 5 band equalizer to adjust music which sounds good to your hearing.
- Cricbuzz: Indians love cricket so cricbuzz android app comes here to deliver live match score, news, short commentary etc. You can add cricbuzz widget on home-screen and can enjoy the live score without entering into the app.
- Cricinfo: With the Cricinfo android app you stay updated and never miss anything about cricket even on the go. App has a very clean design which makes it easy to find information on a screen. You can check the live score, player profiles, match details, scoreboards, etc.
- Photo Splash: This app has 25 different grunge effects which make your photo look unique. You can even color splash your photo, this is not the best photo editor, but still, you can give it a try.
- FM Radio India: Listening to all those melodious tunes and music on the go is what most people love to do. FM Radio India android app supports many Indian languages and you can even mark a channel as favorite and get instant access to all your liked channels under the favorite category.
- BeautyPlus Camera: This camera application helps you to look more beautiful in photo, as it automatically removes scar, freckles, aces from your face. Even this tool is great for shooting pictures in low light.
Indian always love something extra, so here is bonus round with some app to explore more of Android app developed in India.
- Crowdfire: Crownfire (popularly know as JustUnfollow) is one of the best Instagram and Twitter management app. With this app you can find people unfollowing you, people don’t follow back, inactive users, etc.
- M- Indicator: This is a must-have android app for Mumbai residents. It is mostly used to find local trains, metro, bus schedules. Other than that, this app also offers features like offline express and mail train schedules, auto, taxi and ferry details etc.
- ABC For Kid: It is kind of all in one alphabet learning app for your kid. It offers amazing picture, graphics and sounds to make learning experience in a fun way. This app is been loved by many parents.
- Nursery For Kids: Listed as one of the best apps for kids. This app has 38 nursery rhymes of which 10 songs are free. Animated video with story based on rhymes will sure entertain your kid. Popular rhymes like “Humpty Dumpty” and “Pussycat Pussycat” are free and amazing.
- DWM: Dance with Madhuri App is the world’s first celebrity-backed portal promoting Dance. With DWM Android app you can enroll to dance courses designed by Madhuri Dixit. You can also post your dancing videos, learn new dance styles, follow people etc.
- ZoomIn: This unique app gets your photo printed at your doorstep. ZoomIn Android app you can , select you product, make collage or choose photo and get printed. You can try your first order at 49 rs only. Go get your collage poster printed now.
- Instant PicFrame: This app has some very cool frames and borders to make your collage or photo look awesome. Instant PicFrame even has some shapes like heart, circle, flower etc. You can directly share your photo on social media with a single click.
- Love and Romance Quotes: Low in size, this app have good ratings on app store. Just shake your device to receive a random quote. And if you like any quote mark it as favorite or even send it via SMS, Email within one tap.
- VithU: VithU is an emergency app that sends messages to your guardian when you are in emergency, with just 2 times pressing on the power button it will automatically send SMS with your location.
Well, we have worked best to research, write and share this big list of popular Indian apps that are developed in India. And there are still many Indian apps for Android platform we haven’t covered in this best 100 list, so do let us know which is your personal favorite app and also comment below if we have missed any popular Indian app, we would love to cover it in our next list. Please don’t forget to share this article on social media. Thank you
Abhishek is the founder of Above Android. He has worked hard to bring Above Android where it stands today. He manages his team extremely well and also manages the News section of our site. Having learnt the art of Android Development, he is always keen to know the latest updates in this space and put it down in our news section.